This is a great recipe of ingredients, but the proportions are way off. For starters, the combination of nutritional yeast and soy sauce (I actually prefer Tamari) is the vegetarian equivalent of meaty. So if you aren't going to use these two ingredients - don't bother with this recipe.
Nutritional yeast is an expensive ingredient, so I can see why people will want to omit. Tip - check out Whole Food's bulk bin section.
Here are some adjustments I made:
1) don't add any salt until the end. See if it even needs it at the end.
2) use fresh sage
3) cut the oil in half and add more if necessary
4) add flour slowly until you get the consistency you want, may not require full amount.
5) I added ALOT of nutritional yeast until I got a flavor I liked. Maybe 1/2 - 1 cup.
6) Use some butter instead of oil
Again IMO, this recipe has great ingredients but terrible proportions. That being said, no one touched the meat gravy when I made this.
Was this review helpful?
2 users found this review helpful
This is a great recipe of ingredients, but the proportions are way off. For starters, the...