Recipe by Cordelia
"I've experimented with these a lot and have finally found a combination that comes out as stiff as gelatin desserts but are completely vegan. Works well as a substitute for gelatin in other recipes or just as treats on it's own. Half of a cup of chilled juice can be replaced with your favorite liquor to make a cocktail."
Hmm. None of these ingredients are on sale today.
Show ingredients on sale
Sort stores by
Save money at local stores when ingredients are on sale!
Watch video tips and tricks
Recipe worked great for me.
*IMPORTANT* If you are using agar agar flakes, you need to use tablespoons instead of teaspoons. If you are using powder, then you use teaspoons. This is imperative for the execution of this dish.
I couldn't get mine to gel. I tried the recipe then the next day added another tsp of agar agar and boiled it. next day still runny so I did it again, 4 times till I gave up. It doesn't seem like a difficult recipe but... I wonder what I'm doing wrong.
I use agar-agar as my main gelling agent. A few helpful hints:
- When the recipe above doesn't turn out well, raise temperature and simply try again.
- The setting temperature for agar is considerably lower than the temperature at which it melts. This makes it useful for hot gels should you wish to do so by warming up the gel after it has set.
- For the average gelatine, typically one would use 0.5% by weight of agar powder. Sugar enhances the gelling power; tannins reduce it. The small amount needed makes it practical to either use precision scales or pouches with a known amount of agar in them.
- For an extra fast gelatin, heat only a third of the liquid you want to set, then add in the remaining two thirds of the liquid (at room temperature) while stirring . This will brings the agar near its setting temperature (32-40 degrees C or about 95-110F), reducing the setting time by hours.
This recipe works great! The texture isn't quite like gelatin, but the kids don't know the difference. Mine set up within about 1 1/2 hours.
Do you have to use cherry juice?? Or can you use other juices?
This recipe didn't get to a gel form at all it was like tart sugar water and uneatable. . maybe more agar agar would help but when I poured the mixture out the flakes were just swollen and hung at the bottom of the dish ! I made for my baby shower and didn't serve it .
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Serving Size: 1/12 of a recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat: < 1
Memorial Day is a time to get together with friends and family for food, fun, and memories.
Nothing beats a big bowl of cool, creamy potato salad at your cookout.
Delicious recipes, party ideas, and cooking tips! Get a year of Allrecipes magazine for $7.99!
Fun and easy Easter dessert treats.
See how to make a fun and colorful dessert salad in a Jell-O mold.
Dairy-free cupcakes flavored with vanilla extract and coconut oil.