Made this for my girlfriend for her B-day as a surprise, huge hit! She's a tiramisu lover and said it was the best she's ever had.
What worked for me:
1. Hard lady fingers, ordered from Amazon
2. Doubled coffee / Kahlua mix (Starbucks coffee w/ a shot of espresso added), mixed together and divided in half, used small cup to drizzle halves evenly over ladyfingers layers (2 layers)
3. Used a whisk and mixed eggs & sugar together first, then added milk and set electric stove on '4', slowly stirred until a soft boil - took about 5 minutes, then boiled for about a minute while still stirring.
4. After chilling and adding mascarpone, custard still had very small sugar/egg lumps - other reviews were correct, don't worry about this - after chilling for 2 days it was smooth as butter.
5. Added about a tablespoon of sugar to whipped cream. Used an electric hand mixer to whip the cream. Mixed approx 2/3rds of whipped cream with the mascarpone custard and saved the rest for a light whipped cream only layer on top. That worked really well.
6. I used a rectangular spring form and lined the sides with Pirouline dark chocolate rolled wafers that I had cut to various lengths (uploaded a pic), this was the hardest part actually - getting all that to stay in place with the bottom layer of ladyfingers cut and shaped to fit in tightly. Tasted great and looked awesome.
7. Lightly dusted top w/ cocoa and added strawberry slices with shaved dark chocolate. Great flavor combo w/ the rest!
Was this review helpful?
2 users found this review helpful
Made this for my girlfriend for her B-day as a surprise, huge hit! She's a tiramisu lover and...