Thank you for posting this recipe. Great flavor! This recipe brings out pork's own flavor that gets lost if you cook your meat drowned in BBQ sauce. I admit that I took the shortcut from other reviews. Except for the changes below, I used all the ingredients listed.
- Skipped marinating, skipped rubbing
- Browned the unseasoned roast with oil
- Combined all ingredients in pot
- Total brown sugar used: 1/4c
- Total root beer used: 1-1/2c
- Reduced cinnamon to 1/8 tsp
- Doubled the whiskey for good measure (Took a sip)
- No onion powder on hand... 1/2 large onion dumped in pot
- Cooked on low for 8 hours, turning twice.
Only added 1/2c mild BBQ sauce at the end, then served with 3 different (mild, hot, Carolina style) sauces on the side for people to choose. Everyone had 2nds and 3rds. Even people with their own smokers wanted the recipe.
Sorry to have changed the recipe, but you nailed the seasoning combination. It really is a great, versatile recipe even for a lazy cook like me.
Was this review helpful?
2 users found this review helpful
Thank you for posting this recipe. Great flavor! This recipe brings out pork's own flavor...