This turned out really well as a basis for my modified chili. We really watch our salt intake, and my husband is allergic to corn, which required some modifications to the ingredients. I'm also a little bit lazy.
What I changed:
- Instead of turkey, used 1 lb ground chicken and 1 lb ground sausage.
- Only one (large) onion
- Used about 36 oz. of reduced sodium chicken broth, which is less than what the recipe called for.
- Replaced the hominy with a can of Northern beans, and instead of 3 cans of white beans unblended, I used 2 plus 1 of pinto beans.
- Omitted the Cajun and serranos.
- Added 7 oz of green chilis, about 16 oz of salsa verde, and some pinches of chili powder and red pepper flakes.
I correctly assumed this wouldn't all fit in my small crock-pot, so I did it on the stovetop in a dutch oven for the same amount of time (about 6 hours), stirring every once in awhile, and without the lid on for the last hour so it could reduce a bit.
Turned out great! Nice flavor, not too spicy (I have a tender mouth), but not too bland either (my husband likes things spicier). We served with an irish soda bread, which is very cornbread-like without corn, and it was a great dinner. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
Was this review helpful?
22 users found this review helpful
This turned out really well as a basis for my modified chili. We really watch our salt intake,...