As a retired test kitchen chef, I am bound to dabble. So after reading all the reviews, I set to work to make a lower fat version and still maintain taste. I had researched the Top Secret version and felt I could even drop fat content on that one too.
1. I used hot italian turkey sausage. Yes it came in links, but I squeezed out the meat and cooked it. Then roll in paper towels to get out any remaining fat.
2. Bacon and Onion should be cooked separately, then blended in at the last minute to meld flavors.
3. I dropped the water content, got rid of the cream and used entirely fat free half and half from the dairy section. Brilliant stuff and works well in this recipe. Smooth, rich, not too thin consistency
4. Some brave souls prefer to add pepper at this point, but I say "to taste"
5. I prefer the texture of Youkon Gold potatoes, but any young new potato with the skins on is great. If you like earthy, you can use russets. I have never been a fan of dirt so I stick with thin skins.
So play, enjoy! And don't forget the Romano!
Was this review helpful?
269 users found this review helpful
As a retired test kitchen chef, I am bound to dabble. So after reading all the reviews, I set...