How I wish I had read all reviews before making this one! The "prep time" listed of 30 minutes is incredibly inaccurate: If you are supposed to char 36 tortilla halves for 1 minute each... Well, you can do the math.
I made this recipe exactly as directed except I didn't char the tortillas, used Pepper Jack cheese instead of plain Monterrey Jack, and cooked for 30 min. instead of 45 with it uncovered for the last 8 min. or so.
It is decent -- not too soupy, which was a real concern after reading the reviews. Next time I will make the following changes:
1) Omit the sour cream and serve it on the side with the hot dish. It gets "lost" in here anyway.
2) Substitute tortilla chips or tostadas for the tortillas. This may give the dish some much needed texture.
3) Use a shredded rotisserie chicken to save time.
4) Add some good quality salsa, green or red. This will cover onion, garlic, etc. I live not far from the border and am blessed to have some excellent Mexican restaurants nearby with outstanding homemade fresh salsas.
5) Use a combination of cheeses, like Mexican Blend.
I used a good quality canned green enchilada sauce from a restaurant chain, and it is full of flavor. I think that made all the difference; this dish would have been very bland otherwise.
Was this review helpful?
3 users found this review helpful
How I wish I had read all reviews before making this one! The "prep time" listed of 30...