While I love seafood Paella made with fish stock, I think the sausage, chicken and chicken stock in this recipe makes it so much more flavorful.
Ingredient changes I found nice, but which ended up doubling the recipe:
- 12 (not 10) total fresh sausage links (half hot, half mild) from Central Market meat counter (must be larger than 4 oz each, because it was a lot of sausage);
- Two packages chicken thighs cut in strips (not tenders);
- Added 1 pound Bay Scallops (awesome treats in the dish);
- Added 3 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces (sautéd with other veggies);
- Instead of just 1 green pepper, I also added 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 orange pepper (4 total);
- Instead of canned, peeled, diced tomatoes, I used 28oz can peeled cherry tomatoes in one dish and 5-6 diced fresh tomatoes (smallish) in the second dish which worked great;
- Lots of oregano and extra saffron. Added salt while sautéing veggies. No turmeric.;
- Arborio rice, not long grain;
I also sautéd the shrimp and bay scallops, very lightly with salt and some oil, then set them to cool and rest before adding them to the dish later.
Because this doubled the recipe, at the end of Step 1, I took half the sautéd veggies and moved them to my paella pan to use as my second cooking pot. From there on, I cooked two paellas -- one with all the hot sausage links for the adults and one with all the mild sausage links for the kids. I added extra Arborio rice and broth to balance out the mix.
Was this review helpful?
0 users found this review helpful
While I love seafood Paella made with fish stock, I think the sausage, chicken and chicken...