What an excellent recipe! It is so filling, and it keeps well. I like mine with Frank's Red Hot added as I eat.
Following other reviewers:
1) I halved the recipe and ended up using around ten or twelve 9-inch tortillas (10-inch tortillas aren't sold at the Hannaford near me). The recipe tortilla count of 16 must be only an approximation.
2) The amount of cheese given is almost too much, and I love cheese. Try two-thirds of the amount.
3) Add a packet of taco seasoning to the rice after cooking.
4) Substitute salsa for the canned tomatoes.
5) Use a 1-cup measuring cup to fill the tortillas. (use 1 cup plus a little more if you have larger tortillas, then you get 14 from the recipe)
6) While you can reheat them in the microwave, they taste best if finished off in a toaster oven to make the shell a little crisp.
7) One-half of a cup of dried beans is equivalent to a 15-oz can of cooked beans.
Was this review helpful?
11 users found this review helpful
What an excellent recipe! It is so filling, and it keeps well. I like mine with Frank's Red...