Recipe by Valerie Serao
"Easy chicken and herbs in a creamy lemon and mushroom sauce. The sauce is excellent over rice -- my kids can't get enough!"
Hmm. None of these ingredients are on sale today.
Show ingredients on sale
Sort stores by
Save money at local stores when ingredients are on sale!
Watch video tips and tricks
ground black pepper
boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 (10.75 ounce) can
condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.5 ounce) can
condensed chicken broth
dry white wine
chopped fresh parsley
grated lemon zest
This was great, extremely delicious. As per earlier reviews I dipped the chicken into egg before coating with the flour mixture. Reminds me somewhat of Chicken Francaise, but with much more flavor. Definitely a keeper recipie. A+
Although the sauce was very tasty, the chicken came out a little dry. Based on other reviews, I whisked a couple tablespoons of the seasoned flour into the soup mixture before pouring it over the chicken; this made the cooked sauce thick and gravy-like. I might tinker with this recipe and try it again. Maybe dipping the chicken in beaten egg before flouring and browning, or pounding the chicken first, would result in more tender chicken.
This recipe ROCKS! The first time that I made it, I followed the directions completely and it was SUPREME! Then the second time I made it, I made some changes...
1. A basket of sliced fresh mushrooms and added it to the broth mixture BEFORE pouring it over the chicken (tastes good if you let the mushrooms soak in the broth mixture for about 30 minutes)
2. I scraped out the remaining pulp from the lemon that I juiced and added it to the broth mixture.
3. I added 2 tablespoons of Lemon Pepper to the broth mixture
4. I dipped the chicken in 2 raw eggs (beaten) before dipping the chicken in the flour mixture
5. I omitted the lemon zest, capers and parsley
OMG!!! This was wonderful! I was so impressed that I could make something so easy, taste and look so elegant! I can't wait to make for guests! Per other reviewers, added 1 1/2 TBLS of lemon pepper seasoning to the broth/soup mix, only used 3/4 cup flour and 6 chicken breasts (first dipped in an egg and butter mixture before dipping into flour so it would stick to chicken better). I served over rice (Uncle Ben's chicken and wild rice) and spooned the excees "sauce" over all. Absolutley devine! The praise I received for making this dish made me blush. Thanks Valerie for sharing this one!
10 star recipe. The best of the best. I make this for company all the time and people go crazy over it.
Some changes when I make it- all optional obviously:
1. after I dip the chicken in flour and begin to saute it, I then dip it back in the flour mixure-otherwise the "breading" is minimal and there is a lot of flour and herbs left over.
2. Never/rarely have fresh lemon (please!) so I just throw in lemon juice- prob 1/4 to 1/3 cup.
3. Never used the capers or lemon zest.
4. ALWAYS pound the chicken to within a centimeter of its life. Its so tender- amazing.
5. I use whatever in terms of the soup, mushroom, chicken, chicken and garlic, full fat, reduced fat, etc. Doesnt seem to make any difference to me.
6. I havent felt like leaving out spices if youre out is a big deal. Ive been out of parsley and basil and it made no difference- I just ignored them.
7. I always make extra sauce and a vat or rice b/c the family wants to eat it for leftovers for days.
Im really surpised at those who dont like this. Ive made it probably 25 times and every time (except for one when I made a HUGE mistake on salt- tired due to having a newborn!) Ive been hailed a hero.
Whoever came up with this recipe knows what they are doing. Enjoy!
I don't go by reviews much anymore but I took a chance on this one and thought how bad could this be - I thought this was going to be okay - but nope - it was amazing - this is a new standard. I added some fresh mushrooms as well. Very good. The other thing about this recipe is that it is REALLY EASY to do.
5 stars? Heck, make that 5000 stars for this most fascinating and mouth-watering recipe!! I have had my share of wonderful chicken recipes but this recipe definitely takes the cake; it is definitely on the top of my list! Fine dining / restaurant quality for sure! There is nothing to change about this most exceptional recipe other than the fact that I added lemon pepper to the chicken broth mixture as suggested in some of the reviews. I also added extra flour coating on the chicken breasts as it was cooking in the skillet to increase the 'thickness' of the coating and it turned out great. May I suggest the addition of chopped fresh mushrooms to the chicken broth mixture. But again, it's only a suggestion since the recipe is perfectly fine as it is. Cudos to the creator of this stunning recipe! Safe to say, I will definitely make this dish again but this time, it will be for friends and family.
Wow! Ever after all the substitution I made, this still turned out awesome and I recieved raved reviews. I didn't have lemon so I had to use lime and substituted more chicken broth for the wine. I suggest to make only 1/2 of the flour mixture because there was more than 1/2 left after dredging them. I also added a tblsp of the flour mixture to the soup for added flavor. It had a nice, subtle taste. I can't wait to try it with lemon. Thank you!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Lemon Mushroom Herb Chicken
Serving Size: 1/4 of a recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat: 274
Muffins are great for breakfast, with coffee, or just as a snack on the go.
Soup is what the doctor ordered to cure those winter blahs.
Delicious recipes, party ideas, and cooking tips! Get a year of Allrecipes magazine for $7.99!
See how to make lemony chicken served with a savory mushroom sauce.
See how to make a simple herb-rubbed roast chicken, Italian-style.
See how to make a classic chicken dish with a tart lemon-butter sauce.