This recipe was absolutely delicious that I am keeping it in my own recipe book. I have made it twice. The first time I followed the recipe exactly, and then made it again this past week and doctored it. Both are delicious, but I prefer the changes I have made to it, which are the following:
- I prefer to use mild sausage or hot sausage
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, pressed
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chicken broth
(I changed the amount of additional liquid because in the original recipe with all the additional goodies in the pot, there wasn't enough liquid to balance out the soup. I also use chicken broth to stabilize the "beef" flavor, so it's not overpowering the dish)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1-2 whole carrots, chopped
- 1-(8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 whole sliced zucchini
- Italian seasoning to taste
- 1 Tblsp of brown sugar (I added this in to counter the acidic flavor of the wine, tomatoes, and the tomato sauce. You can adjust it to your liking)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 6 oz, Ronzoni Garden Delight Trio Italiano pasta blend (It's roughly about half the box)
I sauté my onions and garlic first, and then add the sausage to brown. I don't drain the sausage before I add all the rest of the ingredients, I just skim the fat during cooking time. The chicken bouillon, brown sugar, and Italian seasoning are all added during the second step of the recipe.
Thanks, Mary P., for providing such a yummy treat!
Was this review helpful?
1 user found this review helpful
This recipe was absolutely delicious that I am keeping it in my own recipe book. I have made...