"This recipe is as close to what you'll find in a good Mexican restaurant along the southwest U.S. border. It is so good, it is addictive." — ellenmoriah
Watch video tips and tricks
Hass avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
yellow onion, diced
hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®), or to taste
salt, or to taste
This is my recipe, which was posted slightly differently than how it was submitted. A couple tips:
• you know an avocado is ripe when the skin is black, and there's a little "push" when you slightly squeeze it. Too much "push" and it's over-ripe; too little and it's not ready yet.
• the pit will fall out as you're peeling a ripe avocado... if you need a spoon to get it, the avocado's not ready yet.
• to keep the guacamole from turning brown, place plastic wrap directly on top of the finished dish, making sure to eliminate all air contact with the guacamole (it's exposure to the air that will turn it brown). When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap and stir the dish with a fork.
• This is ALWAYS best at room temperature.
I thought this was just ok. It didn't have a ton of flavor, and the lemon was quite strong.
Very good. Used canned tomatoes with green chilies. Will make again.
Made this last night for a party and everyone LOVED it. The only difference that I made was substituting lime juice for lemon, because I had limes on hand and no fresh lemons. I also would recommend keeping the pits in the bowl until it's time to serve so that it doesn't brown!
I made this recipe exactly according to the instructions listed and found the dish to be very, very tasty. It was easy to make, too. It does remind me of the guacamole served in most restaurants. Thank you, ellenmoriah, for submitting it. A new one for my recipe box.
Today is 02/05/2013 and I just made this recipe and realized I forgot the Lemon Juice but it was still great! I like this version because it is natural, homemade and you can make this sodium free. Plus, no buy buying the pre-packaged spices.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Ellen's Addictive Guacamole
Serving Size: 1/8 of a recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat: 133
See how to make classic guacamole with all fresh ingredients.
Make fresh guacamole in less than 10 minutes—and get tips on peeling tomatoes.
See how to make classic, quick-and-easy guacamole.