Recipe by Ann D
"When you want something hot and easy in the morning; prepare this wonderful oatmeal the night before."
Hmm. None of these ingredients are on sale today.
Show ingredients on sale
Sort stores by
Save money at local stores when ingredients are on sale!
Watch video tips and tricks
non-stick cooking spray
I've tried a number of slow cooker oatmeal recipes from this site, and hands down, this is the best. We don't particularly care for steel-cut oats, so I used regular oatmeal. I checked the cooker at 3 hours, it was done, and starting to stick a little on the bottom. It well may be that my slow cooker's "low" setting is hotter than many, and maybe not using steel-cut oats had something to do with it, but I would not let this cook overnight. I don't mean that comment to sound negative, but I would suggest using some caution on cooking time. For our tastes, it also was too sweet, so I'll try cutting the brown sugar in half in the future. This is really a tasty recipe, and I have some containers going into the freezer to be enjoyed later by reheating in the microwave.
1. This was very quick and easy to throw together. I had some reservations, but decided to follow the recipe (as close as I possibly could) for the first try. And I will not be making any changes!
2. I was concerned that the 4 c. milk (I used whole milk because no almond milk on hand) would not be enough for the 2 C. oats but the consistency turned out perfect and I will NOT change that ratio in the future
3. This milk:oats ratio yielded a very thick, slightly chewy oatmeal. Exactly the way steel cut oats should be served, IMHO.
4. I used 1 smallish granny smith apple and 1 large braburn apple, peeled, cored, and sliced.
5. I toasted my walnuts – as always
6. I used the full ½ c. brown sugar and was satisfied, although I typically like it a bit sweeter, but you can always add more on top afterwards.
7. Thank GOODNESS I used a crock pot liner – I started this at 10 pm and turned it off at 6:30 – it was done, stuck to the sides, and needed stirring, but it was not burnt.
8. Even if I had raisins on hand, I would not have added them before cooking – they turn out mushy and should instead be added as a garnish.
THANK you for the recipe!! This will be written in to my permanent recipe book!!
Ok, but apples tasted funny.
Overcooked in my crock pot, but I expected that. It has issues. Made without the nuts because I don't like them. Next time will use a programmable crock pot, and will get rid of this demon possessed one. :D
I made this exactly as it was written, except without walnuts. Other then the cooking time being too long it was great. I cut the cooking time to 5-6 hours on Low (eventually put in on warm). A crock pot liner is a must-have for this recipe. It still stuck to the sides of the liner--but that is due to the crock pot--not the recipe.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Easy Overnight Oatmeal
Serving Size: 1/8 of a recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat: 148
Pile it into a tomato half, load it into a wrap, or spread it on bread. Chicken salad does it all.
Broccoli salad makes a great side dish or a light main dish on a warm night.
Delicious recipes, party ideas, and cooking tips! Get a year of Allrecipes magazine for $7.99!
Make a wonderful warm breakfast of simple apple and cinnamon oatmeal.
This oatmeal is rich, delicious, and very open to your creative touches.
A sweet baked oatmeal with raisins, milk, and eggs.