Hands down, this was the best meatloaf that I've ever made. I used about 2.3 lbs. of ground beef.
Following some of the advice of others as well as adding a few of my own tweaks, the meatloaf was perfect.
Here's what I did:
1. I sautéed finely chopped onion, 3 cloves (minced garlic) & 2 stalks of celery in butter (which really makes the loaf tender); then added it to the ground beef.
2. I added 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce to the ground beef mixture along with 2 eggs instead of 1, 1 1/4 cup of milk & about 1 1/2 cup of dried Italian bread crumbs.
3. For the sauce: I initially made it as the directions indicated with 2 TBSP. of brown sugar, and found it to be way too sweet. I then added 1/3 more ketchup and a couple of dashes of Worcestershire Sauce and it was perfect.
4. It was an abundance of sauce, and a lot of the other reviews said that there wasn't enough sauce, so I spooned a thin layer at the bottom of the loaf, molded half the loaf, then sauced the top, and then added the rest of the loaf on top and sauced it really well. This was absolutely perfect.
5. Lastly, there was no specification on whether or not to cook the meatloaf covered or uncovered. I used enough aluminum foil to line the baking dish as well as cover the top (so I essentially wrapped the loaf in foil) and cooked covered for 45 minutes, drained most of any accumulated liquid and cooked uncovered for an additional 30 minutes.
This was super moist and delicious!!!!!
Was this review helpful?
232 users found this review helpful
Hands down, this was the best meatloaf that I've ever made. I used about 2.3 lbs. of ground...