I made this soup for a family gathering. I scaled it to serve 20 people and it turned out very well. I'm a strict vegetarian so I had to make something good to impress the meat-eaters of the group. . . all of them asked for the recipe.
I tried to take a lot of advice from the user reviews before cooking and made some changes:
1. The scaled recipe called for 5 leaks. I subsituted one leak for an onion. So if using the current scale, probably half and onion and one and a half leak would suffice.
2. I sauteed one clove of garlic in the olive oil before adding any vegetables. Again, with scaling, you might not need that much.
3. I couldn't find any cannellini beans so I used kidney beans. My italain stepmom laughed at me, but it turned out good, so she stopped laughing after she tasted it.
4. I did let it sit in the fridge overnight before serving. It really added a LOT of flavor.
5. I think the stock you choose is probably the most important part of this recipe. I was fortunate enough to have really good vegetable stock. Can't remember the brand or I would share it, sorry.
6. I didn't put as much thyme in as called for.
I served it with another recipe from allrecipe's: Great Garlic Bread, submitted by Noelle. Good stuff.
Was this review helpful?
179 users found this review helpful
I made this soup for a family gathering. I scaled it to serve 20 people and it turned out...