Excellent recipe. I made it four different ways for a big cocktail party I had. These were the tips I found the most helpful.
(1) Use a food processor to crush everything. Very easy.
(2) Chill the mixture for 0.5-1.0 hour to make it easier to form the balls.
(3) Use a melon baller as suggested to form the balls. They come out much more uniform and it's REALLY easy.
(4) Although I followed the original recipe, my favorite variations were (a) to use Oreos and Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum instead (my guests also agreed this was the best); and (b) I used vanilla wafers and a vanilla cognac made by the House of Grand Marnier. The cognac is called Navan, and it's incredibly smooth going down when you drink it. My wife, who generally hates hard alcohol will even drink this liquor on the rocks. Granted, it's not really much of a chocolate taste, but it's truly great, and a wonderful variation.
(5) Stow the treats in a sealed contained for 4-7 days, and, before serving, put confectioners sugar in either a ziploc or a tupperware container. Merely roll the balls in the container, and place them on the dish ready to serve. This coats the balls very easily and effectively.
Was this review helpful?
25 users found this review helpful
Excellent recipe. I made it four different ways for a big cocktail party I had. These were...