Yummy! I reduced the butter to 1/2 lb like others suggested - perfect. I used a 12 quart stainless steel All-clad stockpot to pop kernels, make the caramel, and coat the popcorn (the pot was covered in oil from popping the corn and the caramel didn't stick - w/plenty of room to stir). Note: there is no way you would ever find me mixing this in my sink - impeccably clean as it is, the thought is repulsive to me! (no offense to anyone who thinks this is acceptable).
Anyway, I poured the coated popcorn onto 2 silpat lined sheet pans (was fresh out of nonstick foil). I only baked one of the sheet pans because the kids begged me to let them keep eating the other one. For softer/chewy/shiny version, don't bake. For firm/crispy/non-shiny version, bake, but reduce baking time to 45 min. I used tongs to break up clumps while baking and cooling. We loved both versions.
1. Reduce butter in half.
2. Use a good quality, heavy pot.
3. If possible, avoid microwave popcorn.
4. Remove unpopped kernels before coating.
5. Keep popcorn warm in 250 oven until ready to coat.
6. Stir with a silicone spatula.
7. For softer/chewy/shiny version, don't bake. For firm/crispy/non-shiny version, bake, but reduce time to 45 min.
8. And most importantly, if you mix this in your sink, don't give any to me! :)
Was this review helpful?
1180 users found this review helpful
Yummy! I reduced the butter to 1/2 lb like others suggested - perfect. I used a 12 quart...