This the real thing! Very simple, very very good, and absolutely authentic taste *IF* you use Frank's Red Hot Sauce. Not Tabasco. Not nothin' else ... and you'll have the taste just like the originals from The Anchor Bar in Buffalo NY. And, just like Chef John says, butter is what you use ... not margarine. You should never buy store-bought wing sauce (waste of money, bad taste, and this stuff is soooo easy to make!).
- Omit the cayenne if you want your wings mild-to-medium-hot, 1/4 tsp as listed if you want it medium-hot, and, well, you get the idea.
- Skip the extra salt (absolutely not necessary as all bottled hot sauce is incredibly salty anyway)
- Keep the sauce warm on the stove, and toss your hot-out-of-the-oven wings in a good amount of warmed hot-sauce, serve immediately
- Do not put these back in the oven to "dry" the sauce ... they're supposed to be saucy.
- Keep some extra warmed hot sauce on the table for dipping (for those of us that need more hot-sauce punishment!)
- Lastly, serve with a real home-made blue cheese dressing, as there are several good ones on this site (choose one with less mayo-to-sour cream ratio) ... and don't forget the celery & carrot sticks to garnish for a crunch & cooling effect!
Thanks for a great recipe, Chef John.
Was this review helpful?
443 users found this review helpful
This the real thing! Very simple, very very good, and absolutely authentic taste *IF* you use...