Won my company chili cook off with this recipe as the base, but made some very important changes.
Additions while making 2x the recipe:
1. Added 1-2 lbs of cubed steak. Fully browned with garlic powder and black pepper.
2. Added 1 full pouch of real bacon bits
3. Added 4 Habeneros + 10 small thai chili peppers + 4 serrano (remember this is for 2x the recipe) peppers blended in a blender with some chili broth and added to the pot.
4. After boiling for 1.5 hrs, transfer all the goodness into a large crock pot (As I transfer every other ladle full has broth since this recipe is too watery with celery and diced tomato juice). Cook on low over night and everything else in the pot goes into tupperwares to freeze. I was actually left with a lot of chili liquid since I like chunky chili and redid the proportion of liquid to meat and beans. The heat will mellow out greatly by noon the next day and turns from front heat (tongue) to back heat (throat).
5. Serve with cheese, sour cream, and chives with frito scoops on the side.
Use stought beer like Guiness and serve next day to allow peppers to mellow. My goal is to make chunky style chili and with above changes it is excellent chunky steak chili with decent back heat.
Was this review helpful?
0 users found this review helpful
Won my company chili cook off with this recipe as the base, but made some very important...