Great recipe, used a few tips and tricks from other reviewers (thank you JJH), as well as a few of my own. Here's what I did:
- Used a large yellow onion, I feel you get more/better flavor from it as opposed to a green onion.
- I also used a healthy amount of garlic (2 cloves if you're trying to be conservative, more if you're like me). Add it after your onions are nice and soft; garlic burns quickly!
- I hate canned mushrooms; way too slimy! I bought some regular ol' button mushrooms, sliced 'em, and added them to the pan with the onions. This method worked well!
- Marinating the beef in the red wine is also key (for no more than a couple of hours)! You get some amazing flavor from it! Don't forget to omit the white wine at the end.
- Instead of adding the flour in separately, do yourself a favor...before you brown your beef, dredge it with some flour. Just enough to give each piece a light coating. You're going to get better flavor and its a sure fire way to ensure your sauce doesn't end up lumpy. Also, you're going to end up with some bonus pan drippings, that you'll deglaze with the beef broth!
- I strongly suggest, please for the love of god, use a couple splashes of worcestershire when you add the mustard. I promise you won't regret the amount of rich flavor you're adding!
- I used half sour cream and half cream cheese at the end. The cream cheese brings the really nice creamy velvety texture, and the sour cream brings flavor to the party!
Hope this is helpful!
Was this review helpful?
6 users found this review helpful
Great recipe, used a few tips and tricks from other reviewers (thank you JJH), as well as a...