* to sour milk, combine 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus enough milk to equal 1 cup. Stir. Wait 5 minutes before using.
1. Heat oven to 350. Grease a 10 inch bundt pan with shortening, flour lightly. Place wire rack on countertop to cool cake.
2. For cake, combine 2 cups of sugar and one cup shortening, beat at medium speed of mixer until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract.
3. combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture, beating on low after each addition until well blended. Add coconut. Mix until blended. Spoon into prepared pan.
4. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Do not overtake. Remove to wire rack. Cool 5 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Place cake, top side up, on a serving plate. Use toothpick to poke 12-15 holes in top of cake.
5. For glaze, combine 1/2 cup sugar, water and 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat, cool for 15 minutes. Spoon over cake. Cool completely.
6. For optional garnish, place spoonfuls of whipped topping and assorted fruit on each serving.