1. In a large covered casserole dish spray entire dish with a cooking spray and then spread 1 entire can of Cream of Mushroom soup evenly on the bottom (best way I’ve found to prevent the potatoes from sticking & adds flavor).
2. Chop the onion into very small pieces & set aside.
3. In a separate bowl mix 1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup, the Sour Cream and 1 TSP of Dry Lipton Onion Soup Mix (added for the flavor of the seasonings which makes it extra tasty).
4. Peel & Slice the Potatoes Thin.
5. LAYER #1: Start layering in the casserole dish with the Cream of Mushroom soup on the bottom: Layer of POTATOES then spread approx 6 spoonfulls of the SOUP & SOUR CREAM mixture on top, then ONIONS then ½ cup of CHEDDAR CHEESE.
6. LAYER #2: POTATOES then approx 6 spoonfulls of the SOUP & SOUR CREAM mixture, then cheddar cheese distributed evenly across.
7. LAYER #3: POTATOES then all the remaining SOUP & SOUR CREAM mixture then the remaining CHEDDAR CHEESE.
8. Sprinkle the chives evenly across the top.
9. BAKE COVERED in the oven at 300 degrees for about 1½ hour.
10. BAKE UNCOVERED for approx another 1 hour or as needed until done and top is slightly browned (test with a fork and make sure the potatoes are done). Note: Baking uncovered at the end helps reduce the excess moisture.