1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, in the upper part of the oven.
2. Cut crust off bread with sharp knife(new crust will form when cooked in the oven)Discard crusts and lay four slices on a baking sheet.
3. With the largest holes on a four sided grater, grate the cheese into a small bowl. Combine with the milk.
4. Butter the top of each slice of bread with a pastry brush(you may need more butter than called for, depending on how much you like) Face the buttered side of the bread down on the baking sheet.
5. Spoon 1/4 of the cheese mixture on each slice of bread and cover with the other slices of bread.
6. With the pastry brush, butter the tops of the sandwiches.
7. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread begins to brown.
8. Turn the oven to broil. Broil them on that setting for 1 minute on each side.(If you need to, reshape the sandwiches with a spatula after turning them, tapping in the sides of the sandwich)Be careful not to let them burn.
9. Use a spatula to get sandwiches off of the baking sheet. Let them cool, cut in half, and serve them hot.