1. In a bowl, mix cornbread ingredients in order listed. Pour batter into a buttered 8” or 9” iron skillet (or glass baking dish works fine too).
2. Bake in oven preheated to 400 degrees F for approximately 35 minutes until done. To check for doneness insert a toothpick in the center of the bread, if done it will come out clean. If not, continue baking and checking for doneness every 5 minutes until done. If top needs additional browning, put under broiler and watch carefully until desired color is reached.
3. Set aside.
1. Allow butter to soften to room temperature.
2. Using a whisk, whip butter and salt together. Drizzle the syrup in slowly until blended.
3. Serve the butter alongside the cornbread and serve