1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and fry until just done in a heavy dutch oven or oven safe pan. Drain grease into a clean bowl and reserve. Add 2 Tbs back to skillet and brown chicken. Remove to plate. Brown sausage in same skillet adding more grease one TBS as needed.
2. Remove sausage from skillet and add all vegetable and herbs, except garlic. Saute until vegetables are soft. Add garlic and cook until just soft 2-3 minutes.Remove from skillet.
3. Add tomato paste to skillet. Stir constantly until warm. Add chicken broth. Stir until broth and tomato paste are incorporated.
4.Add all meat including bacon and vegetables back to pot.Bring to a boil.
5. Cover with foil or lid and place in the oven. Cook for 25 minutes.
6. In the mean time place bread on a foil covered pan and pour melted butter over the top. Sprinkle liberally with Thyme. Place in the oven with casserole until bread is just toasted. Turning as need to toast evenly. Remove from oven and cool then grind the bread into coarse crumbs.
7. Add beans and one half of bread crumbs to casserole. Stir gently and return to the oven,uncovered,for 45 minutes.
7.Remove bay leaf. Sprinkle the other 1/2 cup bread crumbs over the casserole and return to the oven for 15 minutes or until bread crumbs are browned.