1. Melt 3/4 stick of butter slowly. Sauté onion and celery in a skillet until very tender. Toward the end, add the garlic.
2. Liquify vegetables in a blender with 1 cup water to facilitate liquification.
3. In 4-quart pot, melt 3/4 stick (or as much as needed up to 1 1/4 sticks) butter slowly. Do not brown. Add flour. Cook 2-3 minutes.
4. Add tomato paste. Stir together with flour. Stir on medium to medium-high heat for 15-20mins, tending toward 20mins, until tomato paste has taken on a purplish tinge, indicating a deep caramelization.
5. Add wine; cook 2-3 minutes, until you can no longer smell the vinegar-y acidity wafting up.
6. Add chicken broth, sugar, seasonings. Cook 5 minutes, bringing it up to a simmer.
7. Add heavy cream and half&half. Simmer 15-20 minutes.
8. At this point the soup will be very flavorless. This is due to the lack of salt. Add chicken base until the soup no longer tastes watery. Reseason with basil and oregano. Add garlic powder to taste (about 1/4 cup).