"This is the traditional vinegared sushi rice used by most sushi chefs. This recipe will vary slightly dependent upon the region or style of the chef, but will not be too far of a departure from this base recipe."
1. Wash the rice in cold water and rinse multiple times until the water runs clear (about 4-5 times).
2. Drain the rice and place in medium pot.
3. Add the water to the rice and heat over hight heat.
4. Bring to boil and boil uncovered for 5 min.
5. Lower heat to low and simmer covered for 10 min.
6. Remove from heat and let rest for an additional 15 min.
7. While rice is resting, combine the ingredients for the sushi rice vinegar in a small saucepan and stir constantly over medium-high heat until all the sugar and salt is melted. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
8. Place the cooked rice into a large bowl (wooden if possible) and spread out loosely.
9. Slowly pour the vinegar mixture over the rice while mixing and fluffing the rice so that every grain of rice is nicely coated.
10. Continue fluffing and folding the rice until it cools to a warm room temperature.
11. The rice can be kept ready with a warm moist towel until ready to use. Use rice within 2 hours.