1. Turn oven on to 350-degrees with both racks in the two lowest positions. On lowest rack place, a cookie sheet covered with tin foil.
2. In large oven safe Dutch oven (on range top) brown 1/3 – 1/2 of the bacon until very crisp, but not burnt. Move to paper towel line plate to drain. Drain the grease from the pan. Repeat step 1 until bacon is cooked. Drain the grease from the pan before going to step 2.
3. Crumble and brown the sausage and ground beef together with the crushed garlic until crispy (but not burnt) brown. Drain grease.
4. Add Onion to sausage-beef-garlic mixture. Add large pinch of salt after onions are incorporated. Cook onion with meat mixture until most of the onion moisture has evaporated.
5. Add remaining ingredients except for beans, bacon and chili powder. Bring to a low boil over medium low heat for 20 minutes stirring often.
6. Add Beans and bacon. Bring to slow boil for 20 minutes.
7. Taste. Add chili powder if more kick is needed. Add more if still needs more.
8. Place beans uncovered in 350-degree oven for 30 minutes.
9. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Serves about 20-25 people.