Related Recipe Collection
- Harvest regularly to encourage greater productivity.
- Pick inedible shell varieties when the pods are plump but not fully grown--if the pods wrinkle at the stem, you're too late.
- Snow peas should be picked when they are flat.
A Nutritional Grand Slam
Peas are rich in fiber, protein, folic acid, and vitamin A, yet low in fat and calories.
- Give pea seeds a head start by soaking them in water overnight.
- Once peas are ready to pick, harvest them regularly to encourage productivity.
- If your planting space is limited, plant bush-variety peas. They only grow 1- to 2-feet tall and require little or no support.
- For maximum sweetness, cook peas immediately after picking.
- Peas can also be frozen after blanching for two minutes for shelled peas, and five minutes for ones still in the pod. Chill in an ice bath before freezing.