Related Recipe Collections
Planning a Halloween Party?
Have we got some scary good menus for you!
Make your own caramel (and avoid having to unwrap all those individual caramels!) with this recipe and Advice article.
Tricks and Advice
- Use a combination of different colored apples: red, green and yellow.
- Choose uniform-sized apples--small apples work best.
- Substitute chocolate caramels for traditional.
- Before dipping apples in caramel, set them on an even surface and cut half-inch slices in the top of each apple to ensure that the sticks poke straight up.
- Dip apples in one quick motion; let excess caramel drip off. Holding apple upright, press toppings into caramel to hold them in place.
- Use latex gloves (available at drugstores) when pressing on toppings.
- Use a pastry bag with a small tip and melted chocolate to make polka dots.
- Set dipped apples on wax squares or parchment paper.
- And remember: caramel apples are always best eaten the same day they are made!
Create Your Own Flavors
- Chopped nuts
- Toasted coconut
- Miniature chocolate morsels
- Chopped candy bars
- Hot cinnamon candies
- Dried fruit
- Crumbled crackers
- Crushed cookies
- Mint or Peppermint
- Orange Liqueur
Related Advice Collection