Really, really enjoyed this Gumbo! I think that this recipe is likely best used as a 'base' recipe, to be modified a little bit depending on the tastes of the cook. Personally, I followed the advice of others and made a few alterations/additions:
1. Added one, chopped, smoked sausage coil.
2. Used Cayenne pepper in place of hot sauce.
3. Omitted mushrooms.. but doubled bell peppers.
4. Used 1 can of chicken stock.
5. 20 minutes is not NEARLY enough cook time. I simmered this for 2 hours before serving. It gave the flavours a chance to really develop and deepen.
Absolutely divine! I am looking desperately forward to lunch today when I'll get to have it as leftovers… I imagine it'll only be tastier!
Was this review helpful?
3 users found this review helpful
Really, really enjoyed this Gumbo! I think that this recipe is likely best used as a 'base'...