Mar. 16, 2011 11:20 am
Updated: Mar. 18, 2011 9:40 am
Yes, I've gone sugarless. I haven't had any sugary treats for 50 days. My commitment is 60 days, but I'm going to continue right on through lent. By the time I'm done, I'll be sugarless for 90 days. You know what? I haven't missed it. I eat a lot
of berries and that satisfies that desire for sugar without so many calories. The wonderful thing is that I've lost 10 lbs! I didn't do anything extra either. I just quit eating sugar. I'd love to be 50 lbs lighter by my 50th birthday in July, so here's
to hoping the downward spiral continues. Here's what to expect if you try something similar:
1. the first 5 days were VERY difficult.
2. after that I only had bouts with temptation every 3 or 4 days for the first 20 days.
3. Not tempted at all after that
4. I feel better about myself
5. I'm willing to try new things.
6. I have more energy.
7. Now, after 50 days, I miss baking. I don't miss the eating so much, but the smell and the pleasure of baking.
8. I found out that I don't need sugar as much as I thought I did--even Valentines Day was easy.
9. What was difficult was other people who want you to enjoy what they have baked, bought or got to try. Their intentions are good, so are yours.
After lent, I intend to have sugar in those cases in small doses: a sliver of birthday cake, a bite of cookie. You get the idea. I'm going to have to start baking for others though. I do miss that. If you're considering this, you can do it! You're not