Baby Moses Basket Instructions
When I made this Moses Basket for my daughter, I did not know I would need to remember. (And my memory is not so good!) So, here goes:
I purchased a wicker Moses Basket in a natural straw at Ross for 12.99. I wanted it white but I didn’t want to paint it, since it would have a new baby in it soon. I kept thinking about it decided to cover it. There was a very cheap gingham liner inside it that I did not like. The first thing that I did was to remove it and with a seam ripper took it apart to use as a pattern.
I wrapped the handles in a pink satin ribbon & secured with a glue gun.
Using the “pattern” I cut the pieces out of pink satin & surged them together for the lining.
After I had fit them back into the basket, I took some of the satin fabric and cut it about 3” wide with the liner in the basket, I pinned this on the liner (cutting & skipping the handles). This made a “lip” or covering to go over the edge of the top of the basket. Then, taking tulle that had been cut to width of the basket, maybe 10” I think. I cut & made several layers at once. With the tulle layers together (you may want to run a seam to hold it in place, it’s slippery.) I ran a zigzag stitch over dental floss. (It’s stronger than thread.) Tying the dental floss in place on one end, I pulled until it was gathered as tight as I wanted it. Taking satin cut it the same width as the tulle and hem it. (It should be a little shorter than the tulle.) Then pin it to the tulle. This makes your sides; bottom layer will be satin & several layers of tulle. (You will fluff it out later when finished.) With the tulle side facing the lip piece (satin underneath), sew (I serged) together lip piece, tulle and satin. Now you have the lining & sides complete. I purchased a bassinet pad that fit & pink flannel. (Enough for 2.) Using the pad as a template; I cut out sheets (2) & made them by running elastic around the sides in a casing. Place the sheet covered bassinet pad in the basket. I just happen to have a very pretty piece of pink embroidered fabric. I made a top sheet & pillow case for a purchased pillow. (OF course, it didn’t stay in it when the baby was there.) For finishing, I took some of the satin, cut it into strips, seamed it and made 4 bows to attach at the handles. I purchased tiny pink and green roses, scattered them around and sewed in place . . . finished!
Sorry, I don’t remember how much of each fabric I purchased;
You Will Need:
Pink Satin; several yards I’m sure (lining, sides & bows)
Pink Tulle (sides) (I used a LOT of this, bought it on sale.)
Pink Flannel (sheets) (I think maybe 1 ½ yards)
Pink Satin Ribbon (handles)
Pink/Green Purchased Roses (Large Package)
Elastic (for sheets)
Optional: (top sheet & pillow case)
Small Baby Pillow
Fabric (something soft & dainty; maybe w/ roses)
I made this almost a year ago & I do not have it to look at, so this is from what I can remember. I’m sure I left out some things. If you run into a spot you can’t figure out, email me and I’ll try to help. One Note: Be prepared for Compliments! I took it to the hospital when she was born. I could not get 2ft w/o someone stopping me to see where I got it. Nurses from all over the hospital came to see it. We took it to the photographer with us and they wanted to buy it. (Priceless to us.) We intend to keep it in her bedroom to hold her dolls as she gets older. If you look on the internet, you will see that something of this quality sells for around $300, pretty high end I’d say.
Note: I also made a Teddy Bear (from a pattern) out of the fabric we are using in the nursery. It was sitting in the basket at the hospital but you could use a stuffed animal.