1. I only used about 6 good-sized Granny Smiths for this recipe. I think I'll try Fujiapples next time, because the filling was much too sour even with the very sugary sauce.
2. For the syrup, I took the advice of other bakers and added 1 tsp cinnamon, a sprinkle of cloves, a 1/4 tsp each of allspice and nutmeg, and a tablespoon of vanilla extract. The first time I made the syrup, I was dreadfully upset--the fats and the solids separated within minutes. I don't believe it was because it got too hot, because the heat was on low and I had been watching it, but the next time I was more careful(I didn't boil it--I kept it on the stove for about 10 minutes on the lowest setting) and I added the vanilla after I had turned the heat off. I believe the syrup will thicken in the oven and after cooling, so don't expect to visibly see it so thick.
3. I didn't pour the syrup over the lattice crust. I mixed in 3/4 of it into the apples, and then poured the rest on top before making the lattice. However, the syrup was too thick--I suggest warming it up before pouring if you're working slowly.
4. I glazed the Basic Flaky Pie Crust with eggs and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. I did have some leakages, but they're probably attributed by the cooled syrup that didn't seep to the bottom before baking.
5. It was beautiful, just too sour, and be careful with the syrup!
Was this review helpful?
3 users found this review helpful
1. I only used about 6 good-sized Granny Smiths for this recipe. I think I'll try Fujiapples...