Let me start by saying...I know people get upset when recipes are rated based on changes that were made and not the recipe as it is written, but I the changes I made do not take away from the heart of this recipe.
With that said, this recipe is fabulous! I used a few of other reviewers suggestions to tailor this to my spicy, veggie-loving taste buds. Here is what I changed:
1. I use less oil. I don't actually measure it, but it's not more than 2 Tbsp and that's plenty.
2. I only use 6 tortillas in an attempt to cut a few calories and because there were quite a few negative comments about the tortillas being mushy. I have not had that problem...I think they thicken the soup nicely.
3. I use 1 can (14.5 oz) of diced tomatoes and 1 1/2 cans (14.5 oz) of diced tomatoes with green chiles.....deliciously spicy, if that's what you're into! (The other half can of "Rotel" is used to make guacamole...mmmmmm!)
4. I add a few carrots to simmer for about an hour.
5. 20 minutes before we're ready to eat, I add some frozen corn (I don't measure it, but probably about 1 cup) and 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans.
My husband raves about this soup and we absolutely love that there are always tons of leftovers! I squeeze a little lime juice over my soup just before I eat it, and my husband enjoys a handful of extra sharp cheddar cheese on his.
I used http://www.food.com/recipe/my-famous-shredded-chicken-205760 for my chicken and it is deliciously tender!
Was this review helpful?
2 users found this review helpful
Let me start by saying...I know people get upset when recipes are rated based on changes that...