Chicken Tortilla Soup II
Let me start by saying...I know people get upset when recipes are rated based on changes that were made and not the recipe as it is written, but I the changes I made do not take away from the heart of this recipe.
With that said, this recipe is fabulous! I used a few of other reviewers suggestions to tailor this to my spicy, veggie-loving taste buds. Here is what I changed:
1. I use less oil. I don't actually measure it, but it's not more than 2 Tbsp and that's plenty.
2. I only use 6 tortillas in an attempt to cut a few calories and because there were quite a few negative comments about the tortillas being mushy. I have not had that problem...I think they thicken the soup nicely.
3. I use 1 can (14.5 oz) of diced tomatoes and 1 1/2 cans (14.5 oz) of diced tomatoes with green chiles.....deliciously spicy, if that's what you're into! (The other half can of "Rotel" is used to make guacamole...mmmmmm!)
4. I add a few carrots to simmer for about an hour.
5. 20 minutes before we're ready to eat, I add some frozen corn (I don't measure it, but probably about 1 cup) and 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans.
My husband raves about this soup and we absolutely love that there are always tons of leftovers! I squeeze a little lime juice over my soup just before I eat it, and my husband enjoys a handful of extra sharp cheddar cheese on his.
I used http://www.food.com/recipe/my-famous-shredded-chicken-205760 for my chicken and it is deliciously tender!
1 user found this review helpful
May 24, 2013