Brown Sugar Meatloaf
The key to making this recipe AMAZING is to listen to the most helpful reviews. If you do what the top 5 most helpful reviews say to do, then this meatloaf can't get much better!! For convenience, here are the recommended changes:
1. Use the brown sugar and ketchup as a GLAZE instead of putting them on the bottom. Use 1/4 cup of brown sugar instead of 1/2 cup, add 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, mix these 3 ingredients separately, and pour it on top of the formed loaf evenly (I recommend putting some on the sides of the loaf, too).
2. For the meatloaf mixture, use 1/2 cup of milk instead of 3/4 cup, and use 1 egg instead of 2. Also add in 2 cloves of minced garlic.
3. Use a 9x9 casserole dish (or bigger) instead of a loaf pan. Form the meatloaf so that there is at least 1/2 inch of space on all sides. Not only does this allow the glaze to be applied all around the meatloaf, but it also makes draining the excess juices easier.
4. After 30 minutes of cooking (halfway through), drain excess juices, let it finish cooking, then drain again if need be.
5. OPTIONAL: Add strips of bacon on top of the glaze before cooking. When you take the dish out to drain after 30 minutes, flip the bacon strips. Flipping the bacon in the glaze may seem awkward and messy, but it turns out beautifully when the cooking is finished.
My wife, who normally hates meatloaf, LOVED this.
6 users found this review helpful
Jan. 23, 2013