T Bird's Beef Jerky
Flavor = 5
Directions = 3.5
Very tasty stuff. Followed the instructions to the best of my ability: My Instruction tips and clarifications:
- Oven only goes down to 170, so started checking at 2.5 hours... pulled half at about 3 hrs.
- Aim for slices 1/8 in or less. Made a couple closer to the 1/4 in and ended up with some very tasty jerky chewing gum since I cut with the grain.
- Used skewers instead of the toothpicks to hang. Bit easier to load and unload, noticed no influence on cooking around the penetration point.
- SORT BY SIZE!!!! I know should have thought of this, but really the size will determine doneness, so i you have varying size slices, group on the skewers accordingly since the smaller/thinner will be done before the thicker pieces.
- When is it done? Take a piece out when you think it is where you want it, let it cool on the counter, try your handiwork.... IF it is good pull 'em, if it still needs longer then leave the rest in longer. (try not to eat the whole batch while testing doneness)
Again, Easy recipe, wonderful turn out if you watch it. Flavor is really close to classic Pemmican brand Jerky.
Next time, I think I might try cutting against the grain (I know blaspheme, but sometime I want the flavor without the sore jaw)
4 users found this review helpful
Nov. 20, 2012