Cindy's Pumpkin Pie
This Thanksgiving, I made my very first pie. I've always been pretty terrified of making a pie from scatch (I'm a bit of a novice in cooking), but this year I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. I am so very glad I did!
This pie came out superbly. I can't believe that it came out of my kitchen! :-) It was light, fluffy and absolutely delicious. Almost like a pumpkin mousse, if you will.
Here are some noteworthy mentions:
1) I used a 1/4 measuring cup for the sugar, and put 3 rounded cups in the mix. Not too sweet, not too tart. Perfect!
2) I used Marie Calendar's pre-made deep shell pie shells, so instead of two pies, the batter filled one (and a half). If you use a similar crust, you may have left-over batter, but not quite enough for two pies.
3) I used about 14 ounces of Breyers Frecn Vanilla Bean Ice cream. As other viewers stated, I warmed it in the microwave and saw no seperation.
4) I used 2 tablespoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice, and it was the perfect amount.
5) Don't forget to cover your crust with aluminum foil after the first 15 minutes. While covering the crust sounds easier than it is, it's well worth it; the crust was perfect done.
If you, like me, are considering making a pie for the first time, don't hesitate to try this recipe. It came out so good, it has given me confidence to try other recipes. I may make another one and take it to work to make my co-workers think I'm the next Martha Stewart!
0 users found this review helpful
Nov. 24, 2011