I’ve been making this WONDERFUL recipe for about 5 years now (Thanks, Linda C!) and I’ve learned a few things along the way. Here are a few tips:
This timing is based on using a 900W microwave. Times will vary with other wattages.
• Microwave the sugar and corn syrup mixture on HIGH for exactly 6 minutes. Working quickly, stir in butter, nuts and vanilla, in that order. Return the bowl to the microwave and micro on HIGH for 2 ½ minutes longer.
• Pre-heat the greased baking sheet in a 200 degree oven until the last minute. Then, place it on a damp tea towel so it won’t slide around as you work.
• Use all white corn syrup OR half and half white and golden. Using all golden syrup can result in the mixture cooking too quickly.
• Don’t try it with maple syrup. Mine ended up scorched with a strange, sugary texture.
• I have had success with almonds, peanuts, Spanish peanuts with skins, mixed nuts, skinned hazelnuts and cashews but no luck with walnuts.
• Timing can be altered if you're using roasted nuts vs. raw nuts.
• Grease all utensils (wooden spoons and spatulas) well with butter and PAM prior to starting.
• Have everything pre-measured and handy so that you can work VERY quickly.
• Keep a bowl of ice water handy in case you’re unlucky enough to get any of the hot syrup on your skin!!! :-0
• It will keep well at room temperature. However, if the finished brittle is exposed to humidity it will become sticky and inedible.
Was this review helpful?
7 users found this review helpful
I’ve been making this WONDERFUL recipe for about 5 years now (Thanks, Linda C!) and I’ve...