This is very good! I've made it a few times now and have lived, learned and experimented. The original recipe is too sweet for me and it didn't have quite the right flavor I was looking for. Here's what I've done.
1. I always serve over Jasmine rice, so I make sure I start this first so it will be done at the same time as the beef.
2. After prepping my ingredients, I start a pot on medium/high heat with the 1 cup of oil at the same time as the 10 minute wait for the beef. I use a separate pan for the sauce and heat that as well.
3. Once the pan is ready, toss in the garlic and ginger and be sure you don't burn the garlic. It will make your dish bitter. Have your soy/water/sugar mix all ready to throw in there to stop the garlic from burning.
4. Since it was too sweet for me, I reduced the brown sugar to 1/2 cup packed and added 2 tbs of Hoisin Sauce (you can buy this is the asian food section next to the soy).
5. By the time 10 minutes is up, the oil is ready in the pot. I use the slotted spoon to drop the beef in so I don't get burned by the hot oil. Do NOT overcook the beef or it will be too tough. 2 minutes is plenty of time.
6. Drain the beef and add it to the sauce. I wait until the end to add the green onions because they don't need long to cook and I like them to keep their color.
7. I serve over the rice and with a side of fresh mandarin oranges.
Thanks for sharing!!
Was this review helpful?
18 users found this review helpful
This is very good! I've made it a few times now and have lived, learned and experimented. ...