I made this once, using one 14oz can of diced tomatoes as I didn't have fresh on hand, and found it a good but a little bland (would have given it a 3 star). My hubby said the same. I should note that I did did not dredge the chicken in flour in an attempt to keep it the recipe as healthy as possible.
After following the reviews and my mom's cooking experience, I made the following changes/additions:
- 3 cloves garlic added to the onion/celery mix
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes in place of the 3 fresh toms.
- basil and oregano to taste (fresh is best, but dried will do in a pinch)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar (the best you can afford)
- if using cheaper vinegar (like I did), add 1 tsp sugar to balance the acidity
Serve over rice.
This has become one of my main meals for 'brown bagging it' dinners (I'm a shift worker). And yes, the mushrooms freeze well.
Great recipe on it's own (every food preference is subjective), so thanks to Christy for posting this in the first place!
Was this review helpful?
4 users found this review helpful
I made this once, using one 14oz can of diced tomatoes as I didn't have fresh on hand, and...