Apple Pie by Grandma Ople
I made this pie as part of the Christmas gift packages I made this year, and it was amazing. I used this recipe to make mini pies using a giant muffin tin, and one full recipe was enough to fill 9 mini pies. I did make a few changes:
- I ended up using 8 ambrosia apples rather than Granny Smiths, because that's what I had available.
- Rather than adding water, I added apple cider to thin the caramel.
- I added about a teaspoon of cinnamon and dashes of nutmeg and allspice to the mix.
- I added the caramel to the sliced apples before filling the pies, adding a little extra cider to help it mix properly and leaving a little left in the pan to brush on top.
- I thinned the caramel mix in the pan with more apple cider to help me be able to brush it over top of the lattice.
- I baked them the whole time at 350, for a little over an hour.
These pies turned out perfectly. After letting the pies rest and cool, the filling gelled and wasn't runny at all, and the flavor was amazing. This is hands-down the best pie I've ever made, and is definitely going to be my go-to apple pie recipe from now on.
2 users found this review helpful
Dec. 29, 2013