World's Best Lasagna
Changes to ingredients:
- increased ground beef to 1 lb.
- increased onion to 1 cup.
- increased mozzarella to 1 lb. Used shredded mozzarella instead of sliced.
- reduce the salt to 2 tsp.
- substitute cumin for fennel (only because I didn't have any fennel).
- substitute an extra 6 oz tomato paste for tomato sauce.
- add 1 diced red bell pepper.
- add sliced black olives.
Changes to directions:
1. Add the red pepper and 3 oz. of the added tomato paste to the dutch oven when you add the other ingredients to the browned meat.
2. After simmering covered, if necessary, remove cover and continue simmering to reduce excess moisture so that it's not watery.
3. Assemble as follows:
- Oil the pan.
- Four layers of three noodles each, starting with a layer of noodles at the bottom. There will thus be three layers of filling. Each filling layer is ricotta, then meat filling, then mozzarella, then a little parmesan.
- Add the sliced black olives to taste to one of the filling layers. One small can is enough.
- Top the last layer of noodles with the remaining 3 oz of tomato paste, then mozzarella, then parmesan.
- If you have any noodle on the top layer showing, such as around the edges, spoon a little tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce on it to keep the noodles from drying out during baking.
0 users found this review helpful
Dec. 30, 2013