The only reason I am giving this 3 stars is it was a very good BASIC recipe but alterations definitely needed to me made.
1. I would recommend using more than 1.5 lbs of meat... for this to make 16 meatballs, they would have to be very small... I made a total of 11 (cooked on low for 8.5 hours and perfect)
2. Added more spices to the sauce. I read that it was very bland so I chopped 1/4 of an onion and added it to the sauce. Also added some fresh baisil, garlic powder, salt and pepper (basically whatever I had in my spice cabinet)
3. Precooked the meatballs like other reviews said... 350 for 15 minutes... no grease in the sauce
4. I wanted to make a little more sauce to freeze so used 28oz of puree.. worked well
5. Followed other reviews and used 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs... 1 1/4 would be WAYYY too much
Again, this is a great basic recipe for first time meatball cookers like myself. I will definitely be using this as a "base" and continue making my own alterations.
Was this review helpful?
2 users found this review helpful
The only reason I am giving this 3 stars is it was a very good BASIC recipe but alterations...