I had never made cornish hens, but decided to venture out & make them for Valentines Dinner earlier this week. WOW! My husband & I LOVED this recipe! I only made 2 hens, but followed all measurements of the original recipe. I made a few additional tweaks as follows:
1. I brined the hens for 2 hours prior to baking. I soaked them in chicken broth, water, red wine vinegar, white rice vinegar, spoonful of brown sugar, little honey [I just eye-balled all of these ... can't really go wrong!]
2. Sprayed bottom of pan with cooking spray so garlic cloves wouldn't burn
3. Put 4-5 garlic cloves inside of hen cavities [as well as around outside]
4. Brushed melted butter on skin
5. Sprinkled garlic & onion powder on skin
5. Baked 30 minutes at 450 [instead of 25 min] & baked 35 minutes at 350 [instead of 25 min]
These turned out GREAT! I will definitely make again! Highly recommend giving it a try! :)
Was this review helpful?
13 users found this review helpful
I had never made cornish hens, but decided to venture out & make them for Valentines Dinner...