Pesto Lasagna Rolls by Chef Catman (Romeo's Catering NY)
Nov. 21, 2011 10:19 am
Updated: Nov. 21, 2011 3:52 pm
This is a great dish for two reasons. One, its not as painsaking as putting together classic lasagna.
Two, its a crowd pleaser, people really love this dish.
- LASAGNA ROLLS
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 3 Cups Homemade Meat Sauce (Recipe in Footnotes)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 12 ounces Fresh Baby Spinach
- 2 Cups prepared pesto (See Recipe Below)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup grated Locatelli cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- FOR PESTO
- 1 bunch of fresh basil (leaves only)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- handful of raw pine nuts
- 3/4 cup Locatelli/Parmesan Cheese (Grated)
- 3 TBSP olive oil (Extra Virgin)
- GRANDMA'S QUICK MEAT SAUCE
- 1/2 cup olive oil (Not Extra Virgin-that’s for dressings)
- 2 Shallots, Minced
- 2 garlic cloves, Minced
- ¼ Cup of Pinot Noir (Or any red wine you like to drink)
- 2 (32-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ½ tsp Tomato paste
- ½ lb of Ground beef (85-15)
- Handful of Fresh Parsley (finely chopped)
- Add to taste: Salt, pepper, Oregano,
- Pesto, spinach and Grandma’s Meat sauce more than compensate for the reduced amount of cheese in these lasagna rolls.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread 2 cups of the tomato sauce in bottom of a greased 13x9-inch pan. Combine garlic, ricotta, spinach, pesto, egg, Parmesan, salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.
- Place a lasagna noodle on a clean kitchen towel; spread 1/4 cup of the ricotta mixture on the noodle. Roll noodle up; place seam-side down in pan. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Pour remaining tomato sauce over noodles; sprinkle with mozzarella. Cover with foil; bake 20 minutes. Uncover; cook until cheese is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Makes 6 servings.
- You need to mince basil and garlic together. Start by chopping basil then add some garlic to the basil (Add a little salt to the garlic to help it break down) keep chopping add some more fresh basil then some more
garlic until all the product is worked together into a fine mince. Add about half the pine nuts, chop. Add the rest of the pine nuts, chop, chop, chop. Add half of the Parmesan, chop. Add the rest of the Parmesan, and chop, chop, chopThe end product should
be pasty and sticky. Form it into square and transfer to a bowl. Cover with a couple of table spoons of olive oil (Don’t overdo the olive oil add slowly)
Recipe by Chef Catman of Romeo's Catering NY
Pesto Lasagna rolls by Chef Catman of Romeo's Catering NY