Marie's Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Fantastic recipe / comfort food. Only negative reviews on this site are those saying it needs more flavor - so many reviewers, as did I, made a few simple additions. Also must say the mushroom soup version also on the site sounds perfect if really crunched for time. In this case I had time to play with it (which yes, does go against the "quick and easy" slow cooking concept...), so my additions were:
- browned chuck in combo olive oil and butter after light flour and rub of salt, pepper and paprika, and added dash of balsamic vinegar while browning (all suggested by others...)
- PEARL ONIONS, which take some time to prep but were FANTASTIC (cut both ends, blanch in boiling water one minute, move to bowl cold water, then pinch to peel)
- 1 cup beef stock, 1/4 cup worstershire, and a dash of red wine as suggested by others
- baby carrots (perfect size, zero prep except maybe to halve larger ones)
- once done, don't forget to remove fat from top layer of juices, which made fantastic gravy by whisking flour and bit of corn starch and simmering for a few minutes, and
- As I also read somewhere, the next day leftovers reheated in a covered pot from the fridge with some gravy on top were BETTER THAN SAME DAY !
- Slice and toast some french bread and your plate will be completely clean when you're done...
4 users found this review helpful
Dec. 17, 2011