I am by no means a doctor, but I do have a good knowledge of medical conditions, medications, etc. through raising parrots for over 35 years and through the many hours of research that I have done. I have learned through experience that doctors and nursing
homes will not use anything that is not FDA approved. This means that they will not suggest any natural remedies because the FDA cannot approve anything that already exists in nature. They can approve only man-made and manufactured drugs and supplements.
During the many nights that I have stayed up to help my mother, I have used much of the time to do research on numerous supplements. My research had been limited to web sites that relate actual studies and results of studies. I have avoided web sites with products
to sell. My studies and research has taken many hours that most people don't have time to allocate for this purpose. The following is a list of many of the supplements that I use for my mother. It is not yet all-inclusive, but it contains a description plus
the benefits and purposes of each supplement. I hope that this compilation will help you and/or someone you care about.
Acetyl-L-carnitine – 400 mg twice daily (800 mg) – An amino acid, a building block of protein that is naturally produced
by the body and found in food; production declines with age.
- Readily converts to acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter that is critical for learning and concentration.
- Carnitine is a
neuronal energizer and is essential for the production of energy by the mitochondria, “powerhouse” of the cell. Transports fatty acids to the mitochondrial membrane where they are made into energy, and also helps remove waste products from mitochondria-created
Alpha Lipoic Acid – 600 mg – An antioxidant that
is made by the body and is also critical for energy production in the brain
- Is one of the few antioxidants that can significantly boost glutathione, the brain’s most important antioxidant
- Protects the brain from damage by free radicals and toxins
BioPQQ Pyrroloquinoline Quinone – 20 mg daily –
Like CoQ10, is a micronutrient whose antioxidant capacity provides extraordinary defense against mitochondrial decay. Not only protects mitochondria from oxidative damage, but also stimulates growth
of fresh mitochondria.
- Classified as an “essential micronutrient” because it is found in all plant
species but neither humans nor the bacteria that colonize the human digestive tract have the ability to synthesize it.
- Studies have shown PQQ to be a potent growth factor in plants, bacteria,
and higher organisms. Without PQQ animals have few mitochondria in their tissue, resulting in stunted growth, compromised immunity, etc.
- Introduction of PQQ back into the diet reversed these effects, restoring systemic function while simultaneously increasing mitochondrial number and energetic efficiency.
- PQQs’ free radical-scavenging capacity furnished the mitochondria with superior antioxidant protection.
- Is effective in combating degenerative disease and age-related declines in the heart and brain.
- Has been show to optimize health and function of the entire central nervous system.
- Reverses cognitive impairment caused by chronic oxidative stress in pre-clinical
models, improving performance on memory tests.
- PQQ has been shown to induce mitochondrial biogenesis – the growth of new mitochondria in aging cells
- While CoQ10 optimizes mitochondrial function, PQQ activates genes that govern mitochondrial reproduction, protection, and repair.
- Given immediately before induction of stroke in animal models, PQQ significantly reduces the size of the damaged brain area.
- Published studies show that 20 mg of PQQ plus 300 mg of CoQ10 may reverse age related cognitive decline in aging humans.
200 mg daily – Can restore lost function and prevent further damage to mitochondria. Production by the body declines with age.
- Involved in, and essential for, the production of energy in the mitochondria.
- An antioxidant that can protect cells free radicals.
- Is an effective treatment for Parkinson’s disease.
DMAE (Dimethylaminoethanol) – Twice daily – 700 mg
Involves in a series of reactions that form acetylcholine that is found in the brain and other areas. Acetylcholine is a “neurotransmitter”
that helps nerve cells communicate.
- Used for improving memory and mood, boosting thinking skills and intelligence,
and increasing physical energy, oxygen efficiency, athletic performance, and muscle reflexes. Also used for improving red blood cell function and extending life span.
- Crosses the blood-brain barrier, leading to rapid changes in brain function.
L-Carnosine – 1000 mg daily – Recognized as one
of the top anti-aging supplements
- Is a combination of two main amino acids – beta-alanine and histidine. These amino acids are chained together with a peptide bond and together they create cell rejuvenation
- Is a naturally occurring anti-oxidant created by the body that declines
- Is found in the skeletal muscle, the lenses of the eyes, the brain, and the nervous system.
- Is an anti-oxidant that neutralizes free radicals and is essential for fighting off the aging effects of oxidation and maintaining a healthy body and mind.
- Has the potential of delaying or even reversing the aging process of the body.
- Is found in meats, such as beef, chicken, and pork, and also in some fish.
- Other benefits:
- Protects the brain from aging
- Protects the cardiovascular system
- Lessens the risk for diabetes
- Defends against cancer
- Blocks cataract formation and improves vision
- Promotes wound healing
Lion’s Mane - 1 g daily in 2 capsules – Is an immune
system booster, and has a positive effect on dementia.
- Stimulates the Nerve Growth Factor which the lack of is a contributing factor of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
- Is basically a prevention of the breakdown of healthy neurological function. If there is a breakdown, it can be stopped and further breakdown prevented.
- This is not a cure for dementia, but the benefits are significant in slowing down the effects a d possibly halting any further damage.
- Regulates cholesterol levels and blood sugar.
Marine Phytoplankton – 750 mg (3 capsules daily) –
A micro-algae that is a living food and is enzyme active. It contains every known mineral and all of the amino acids our body needs to achieve optimal health. It is the original source of Omega-3’s –
even more powerful than fish or flax oil.
- Boosts the immune system
- Enhances brain function
- Anti-inflammatory support
- Improve cellular repair
- Antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal effects
- Improved cardiovascular system
- Allergy relief
- Improved concentration and memory
- Nervous system repair
- More energy
- Improved eyesight
- The nutrition is literally delivered directly into the blood stream in only a few seconds.
- Hundreds of different carotenoids as well as hundreds of potent phytochemicals
work together to remove toxins and detoxify the blood. Can even reverse abnormal cell division that may lead to cancer.
- Contains vitamins a, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, C, D, and major trace minerals.
N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC) – 600 mg 2 twice daily (2400 mg daily)
- Raises blood levels of glutathione, an antioxidant produced by the body, which protects the brain from free radical attack and inflammation.
- Production of glutathione declines with age and is very difficult to replenish.
- Oral glutathione supplements are poorly absorbed by the body, but NAC can supply a glutathione boost. (Acetaminophen can deplete the supply of glutathione.)
- Glutathione detoxifies a free radical in the brain that is associated with the production of amyloid plaques.
NADH (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) + hydrogen (H) -
and vital compound found in all living cells of plants, animals, and humans. It is essential for adequate energy, and supplementation can improve energy levels. Found in meat, poultry, and fish, but most is destroyed during food preparation. NADH is a coenzyme.
- Used for improving mental clarity, alertness, concentration, and memory: as well as for treating Alzheimer’s disease
- May reduce blood pressure, lower cholesterol, help chronic fatigue syndrome by providing energy, and increase nerve signals for people with Parkinson’s disease.
- Enhances the immune system, and is directly involved in the cellular immune defense system.
Parent Essential Oils – 1 tsp daily –
An essential oil is something that cannot be made from the body and must be obtained through diet and replenished on a steady basis.
Phosphatidylserine (PS) – twice daily (600 mg daily) –
A fat like substance that concentrates in brain cell membrane.
Pycnogenol – 50 mg twice daily –
A natural plant extract made from the bark of Pinus pinaster, a pine tree. Contains proanthocyanidins, which are powerful compounds that act as antioxidant free-radical scavengers.
- Offers antioxidant protection against heart disease and cancer.
Fights aging mechanisms
- Oxidant Stress
- Membrane Damage
- DNA Damage
- Preserves and restores skin health and vitality
- By reducing free radical damage and protecting collagen a elastin from enzymatic degradation
By protecting vital skin proteins from degradation while increasing their natural production
Has favorable effects on the uneven and desirable pigmentation of skin known as melisma typically on areas with
high sun exposure
For heart and artery health
Increases blood flow to vital tissues and decreases blood pressure by beneficially modulating nitric oxide production.
Reverses remodeling of the heart caused by congestive heart failure, reduces the gradual degradation of heart
muscle proteins, and restores the heart’s ability to pump blood normally.
Reduces inflammation that may cause atherosclerosis, osteoporosis, kidney disease, arthritis, and cancer to
name a few. Pycnogenol fights inflammation by switching off a central inflammation-generating system and reducing the production of inflammatory cytokine molecules.
Reduces DNA damage
which is involved in Alzheimer’s disease, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder, and atherosclerosis. Pycnogenol reduces DNA damage by its antioxidant effect and possibly other mechanisms.
- Reduces glycation that occurs when sugar molecules bond to proteins and fats. Glycated molecules function abnormally and trigger oxidation and inflammation. Glycation is implicated
in cancer, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s disease, osteoporosis, and arthritis, and also contributes to obesity. Pycnogenol prevents glycation by lowering blood sugar levels and preventing sugar absorption in the intestine.
Helps to control diabetes and reduce the problems caused by diabetes.
Boosts brain and memory function
Protects the brain cells from oxidant and inflammatory damage in Alzheimer’s disease, by slowing cell death
following exposure to amyloid beta and other oxidant stressors.
It not only blocks
oxidant damage, but also increases levels of natural antioxidants in the brain cells to further increase their resilience.
Offers dramatic relief for osteoarthritis sufferers and also improves arthritis caused by gout.
– 1 tbsp. daily
– MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) Oil is an easily digested fat found in coconut oil, palm oil, and some dairy products.
In its extracted and pure form, it can be used as a nutritional supplement, for cooking and as a high quality salad oil.
- Can help in losing weight and maintaining your optimal weight by boosting your metabolism and helping to optimize the production of thyroid hormones.
- Helps to maintain blood sugar levels.
- Helps with digestive issues and fungal infections.
- Should be gradually added to your diet. Start with ½ tablespoon and build up to 1 tablespoon.
- Can be used in salads, and can cook and bake with it. Use it when recipes call for melted oils.
Olive Leaf Extract –
The olive tree delivers highly essential plant compounds with natural polyphenolic antioxidants.
XtendLife Omega-3 – 2 Softgels daily –
One other thing that I would add to this list is Oil of Oregano. It is an anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral remedy that is useful for numerous purposes. It will help shorten the effects of colds and flu, and in the
liquid form will cure things like toe fungus. A drop or two under and on the nail every day will eliminate toe fungus in less than two weeks.
- Docosaheaxaenoic Acid (DHA) – 600 mg twice daily (1200 mg) –
An essential fatty acid that is critical for a well-functioning brain. About 25% of the human brain is composed of DHA
- Provides brain cell membranes with the flexibility necessary for efficient communication
- If the brain doesn’t have enough DHA it will use saturated fats and trans-fatty acids which can make the brain cell membrane hard and rigid
- DHA is not produce by the body, and must be obtained through food or supplements (abundant in fatty fish)
- Low DHA in children has been linked to violent behavior, learning disorders, depression, and visual problems.
- Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) – 260 mg twice daily (520 mg)
Olive leaf extract has similar benefits as the Oil of Oregano, but does not smell or taste as strong. I don't think this would work on toe fungus, but it does work to eliminate yeast infections in a dog's ears. Just open two
capsule and sprinkle it on the food for two weeks. If the infection has been a long-term problem, one capsule a day after that will prevent it from coming back. I have also used Olive Leaf Extract for parrots to eliminate bacterial problems. For parrots,
I use 2 capsule a day, opened and sprinkled on food for two weeks.
Both Oil of Oregano and Olive Leaf Extract are more effective than antibiotics and much safer.