I only registered on this site to say THANK YOU ROBIN for this WONDERFUL recipe!!!!
I halved the ingredients and tweaked the recipe somewhat, and put a layer of whipped cream inside, sweetened with molasses sugar... It was scrumptious!!!
Here are the changes:
- used only wholemeal flour (sifting it and returned about half the husks to the mixture),
- butter instead of shortening
- no molasses but replaced the sugar with Tate and Lyle molasses sugar using 1/3 (compressed) cup, slightly more than what the recipe asks for
- no ground cloves/ginger
- added 8 walnut halves, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- hot milk instead of coffee
I accidentally added 1 full cup of milk (instead of half as I halved the mixture), but I added more baking powder and cooked at a slightly higher temperature and for slightly longer.
The texture, the moistness, the sweetness - everything was simply perfect!! Thanks again for this wonderful recipe!
2 users found this review helpful
Jul. 11, 2012